Friday, September 28, 2007

D-Day


I took a weekend trip on September 17th to Normandy from Paris and went to see the beaches of D-Day. I got to the town of Bayeux at 4 and was too late for the busses that take visitors to the beaches. The rain started to pour and I felt disheartened by the entire event, I was so close yet so far.

I was already in Bayeux so I decided to be outgoing (my new found self in Europe) and started making small talk with the french guy working behind the desk at the bus station. It turns out that this 22 year old kid named Maxi, was familiar with the state of Washington because he spent a year of high school in Spokane. More proof that it is really a small world. So I still felt horrible about not being able to see the beaches and I even told Maxi that my grandfather fought in WWII. I decided to go all out and just asked him if he wanted to drive me around the beaches after work. Without a hitch he said that he would love to do it. So I find myself flying down rain drenched streets towards the beaches that shaped the modern world. He was a great tour guide and even charged the beaches with me in a pathetic attempt to recreate the battles of D-Day.

I’ll never forget the vast beaches of Normandy and I’ll never forget the generosity of strangers.

1 comment:

Meg Peters said...

I love this story! Strangers can be so kind... it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside. I'm also really glad that you stormed the beaches hehe.